Fifth Grade Spelling Lists
These fifth grade spelling lists are taken from Syllable Savvy Spelling and focus the student's attention on the correct spelling of each syllable.
Get the first lesson and the Instructor's Guide for no charge. Syllable Savvy Spelling 5 - Lesson 1
Using Three Column Spelling
The words in the fifth grade spelling lists below are the middle column in the three column method. On the lessons, the first column lists the words syllable by syllable phonetically. The third column lists the correct spelling and the number of letters per syllable. This method fosters independence in practicing the spelling. It also provides immediate feedback regarding errors made, as well as reinforces the student for each syllable spelled correctly.
Learn more about teaching spelling
with the three column method of spelling.
Sample Lessons from the 5th Grade Spelling Lists
In addition to the first lesson which can be downloaded from the link above, here are additional lessons from the fifth grade spelling lists in Syllable Savvy.
Helpful Hints for Using Syllable Savvy Spelling
- The index contains twenty of the most common spelling rules to help students analyze word patterns. They may keep a list of the words they find in the back of the book to help them remember.
- Each lesson has 15 words, with space for five more words individualized to the student. These five words might include:
- Words misspelled in previous lessons
- Words misspelled in the students creative writing
- Words from science or other unit studies
- Words are often grouped by root words such as punctual and punctuation or sincere and insincere. This boosts the 5th graders vocablary as well as spelling ability.
The beginning of the fifth grade spelling list starts with two or three books from the Bible. Each level has a different theme.
There may be mini-themes in specific lessons as well. For instance, lesson 20 above lists major oceans. Lesson 10 has words from the Declaration of Independence.
Read more about how the three column method can improve spelling ability
You Are Here:
5th Grade Spelling Lists
Top of This Page
About Our Site
Follow Us and Join the Fun
Follow Our Pages